In Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maude Montgomery said, “Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” The New Year begins with celebrations and excitement filled with promises and expectations, a clean slate. A New Year with no mistakes in it yet.
As with every other year, we will be welcoming the New Year with a period of extended prayer and fasting. What a perfect way to focus and allow God to direct the new season.
We will be fasting, like Daniel, for 21 consecutive days to set the course for our year, seek the kingdom of God (Matt 6:33) and invite spiritual, physical and mental healing into our lives.
Daniel 10:2-3. “At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips, and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.”
“Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping and with mourning” (Joel 2:12).
However you chose to fast, we invite you to set time apart in the beginning of the year to spend time with God asking Him what His plans for 2017 are. We urge you observe and jot down what the Lord shows you during this time.
“This is the fast that I have chosen…to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke. Then your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth.” Isaiah 58:6
A few verses to reflect on:
1. “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18-19
2. “To everything, there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven” – Ecclesiastes 3:1
3. “So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.” Psalm 90:12
4. “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
5. “Brothers and sisters, I myself don’t think I’ve reached it, but I do this one thing: I forget about the things behind me and reach out for the things ahead of me. The goal I pursue is the prize of God’s upward call in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14
6. “In his heart, a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” Proverbs 16:9
7. “but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
8. “Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his presence continually. Remember the wonderful works he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered.” 1 Chronicles 16:11-12
9. “The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” Zephaniah 3:17
10. “He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men, yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11
11. “You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance.” Psalm 65:11
12. “Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced” 1 Chronicles 16:11-12
13. “The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By his mercies, we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, “The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!” Lamentations 3:22-24
14. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
15. Everything that goes into a life of pleasing God has been miraculously given to us by getting to know, personally and intimately, the One who invited us to God. The best invitation we ever received! We were also given absolutely terrific promises to pass on to you—your tickets to participation in the life of God after you turned your back on a world corrupted by lust. 2 Peter 1:3-4
16. “May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.” Psalm 20:4
17. “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18
18. “There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.” Proverbs 23:18
19. “Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.” Habakkuk 1:5
20. “He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him” (Psalm 40:3)
May 2017 be filled with love, hope and an abundance of blessings!